Sunday, November 20, 2011

House dedication, Day #5

HOMEOWNER STORY:
Srey Sopha is a vegetable seller and well acquainted with the discipline of savings as she has been saving with an informal group at the local market where she sells vegetables. Since a year ago, Sopha has been saving US$30 a month with the group. Members can borrow from the kitty at no interest for immediate needs. For the past year, Sopha, her husband Nob Phirum and their three sons have been living in a house which they rent for US$35/month. They pay another $5 for water and electricity. Her husband works as a driver, bringing home about another $100 a month.

She first heard of Habitat for Humanity from her neighbor in the Stoeung Meanchey commune in Phnom Penh. Sopha said, "I do not have money to rent a house, but when I am repaying Habitat, it is for a house which I will eventually own."

Sopha has already saved $550 as an initial deposit for her Habitat house. She said, "I am happy to save on rent because I can now save for my children's education."

She is looking forward to working with the volunteers,
"I want to learn skills from anyone who is willing to teach me."
RIBBON CUTTING CEREMONY, SOHPA AND PHIRUM
A HAPPY AND WONDERFUL FAMILY
IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE, THE COMPLETE TEAM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations -- it's a wonderful house and you should be proud of yourselves -- I am proud of you all. Her's a generic Thank You from a voyeur and friend. Happy Thanksgiving from afar. Travel safe and will speak to you when you get home, Nancy. Ruth B